Saturday 27 December 2014

A Week In View - Christmas 2014






My Thanksgiving Cactus (Schlumbergia truncata) has not been well for sometime. I've had it for over 20 years and it has grown from a small cutting to a large plant that usually flowers profusely at the end of November. It was re-potted earlier this year and hasn't been happy since - this November there were very few flowers. Then, this week I discovered that the main stem has rotted through near the base, just above the level of the compost. I have taken some cuttings. I know it's not the right time of the year but it has always been such a beautiful, reliable plant and I don't want to lose it. I hope that with some tlc the cuttings will thrive and will be around for another twenty plus years.

These lovely homemade mince pies were a gift from two little girls that I sometimes help with their maths homework. It was such a lovely surprise when they gave them to me and they tasted as good as they look. I love mince pies; they are one of my favourite Christmas treats.

Christmas has been a quiet and peaceful time in this home, with lots of time for knitting and reading. I've started to knit a shawl in some purple chenille yarn that I bought from Texere. The colour is beautiful - rich and luxurious looking. Yesterday we had the first snow of the winter but cozying up on the sofa, with my knitting and  a glass of red wine, I was snug and contented.

No comments:

Post a Comment