Monday 19 January 2015

A Week In View




I've been listening to a cd recording of Harriet Walter reading Middlemarch.  I've never read the novel;  I did start the book when I was in my early twenties but for some reason put it aside after a few chapters and never picked it back up again.  I missed out on such a treat for such a long time.  But "Hurrah" for audio books that I can listen to in the car.  I am obsessive about arriving early: for work, for appointments, for meet ups with friends..., and I arrive almost everywhere long before I'm due.  Being able to sit back for 10 minutes and listen to the next instalment of a good book has been pure enjoyment.

Although so far this winter we haven't had a proper snowfall here in this neck of the woods, it has been cold and windy.  Jacket potatoes are the perfect comfort food for lunch after a cold morning outside.   I filled these with leeks and Gruyere cheese and they were delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Audio books, such a good idea and perfect for in the car as you say. I really should invest in some. I do tire of some books mysel. When I was doing my Humanities degree I had to study Homer - The Odyssey, and although i read the book in parts for revising, I listened to it too and it was much more user friendly especially as I could listen in the car or when the hubster was watching Match of the Day! Your Gruyere and leek filled jacket sounds perfect for a warming lunch. We've got some of that sloppy snow falling at the moment, more like sleet so it's not settling. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree about jacket potatoes.... love crispy skins myself, not soft ones.

    ReplyDelete