Friday 9 January 2015

A Year In Books - January 2015

I found the "A Year In Books" posts last year when I serendipitously found the "A Circle of Pine Trees" blog.   This year I thought that as well as being a reader I would be a participant as well so here's my first post for "A Year in Books":

Hopefully I will have the time to read more than one book this month, but if I do only read one it will be The Harafish by Naguib Mahfouz.  I read a lot of books written by authors from the Middle East.  The Harafish is a series of episodes in the lives of several generations of an Egyptian family so I think it will be an interesting journey through the way the politics and history of the region affected the lives of ordinary people, as well as being a good family saga.



I've also recently picked up a copy of Kenneth William's Diaries and my intention is that during the month I'll be picking my way through that as well.

My health wasn't very good in December and I feel like I spent most of it asleep.  However I did re-read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, a perennial favourite of mine; and East Wind, West Wind by Mahdi Issa Al-Saqr, which is set in Iraq in the 1950s.  It's a story, about life in a camp at an oil well, told from two different perspectives both describing events that occur among the British managers who run the oil well.  It's a mix of scandal, gossip and eventually betrayal.   It was an enjoyable read.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Anne. Welcome to this great book challenge. I must admit I dipped in last year but want to keep up the momentum this year as I've got so many books I want to read. Have you read The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys? It is set in the Caribbean and is the prequel to Jane Eyre and a back story of Bertha Rochester the so called mad woman in the attic. I loved Jane Eyre and wasn't sure how I would enjoy it, but I did very much. Happy reading :))

    ReplyDelete