Saturday 18 October 2014

Saturday Baking

I've spent a very contented Saturday mostly doing what I like best - baking, going for a stroll and reading.

Baking first.  I finally got round to making two things that I've been planning to make for ages:  Spinach filo parcels and a coconut cake.

Here they are on the cooling rack in the kitchen:




I found the recipe for the Spinach parcels on the Internet on the allrecipes.co.uk site.  They came out very well and I ate a couple with salad for my Saturday evening supper.  The recipe for the coconut cake comes from my "Perfect Afternoon Tea" recipe book.   I haven't tried the cake yet but I've made a couple of things out of this book and they have all been very good, so I think this will be too.  The cake has certainly risen nicely and smells delicious - it has grated lemon rind in it as well as coconut.

For my Saturday afternoon stroll I walked around Robin Hood Cemetery.  That sounds very morbid, but it wasn't really.  The cemetery is very green with lots of trees and it was  peaceful and quiet, and also quite interesting.  I found some of the Commonwealth War Graves that are in the cemetery and the grave of Thomas Turrall, who won the VC in 1916.    I also saw a pair of Jays as well as lots of squirrels.
The book I've been reading, and hoping to get finished in the next few days, is "The Bastard of Istanbul" by Elif Shafak.    I haven't enjoyed it very much so far but I'll see it through to the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment